someone has to strike a pose
My dear emo-Braden, failure to burst in great blooms of emotion at every turn is what we like to call "stability," particularly of the "patience" persuasion. Please stop referring to it as "apathy," "jadedness," and "melancholy." However, a bit more concern over your performance in school would be appreciated. Thank you. Ah, now all my dating struggles make sense. You see, I've been looking for reasonably cool girls. Apparently I was supposed to be searching out the flabbergastingly gorgeous. Thank you, k_t. And, um, well done. So Lacie and I had an awesome conversation about my maternity leave rant tonight. She argued for a fair while that not hiring women would actually be bad for the company, on the grounds that they sacrifice half of their talent pool, including those who don't even plan to have children. Interesting, but it didn't so much refute my original argument as make it academic. We got into the meat of the argument, though, and finally established that the general distinction between discrimination-permissible classes (e.g., the mentally challenged) and discrimination-forbidden classes (women, those with genetic predispositions to illnesses) is that, whereas all are likely to be less profitable on average, society financially assists the mentally challenged. This considered, I suggested that, to equalize them all, we make maternity and disability leave government-funded, at which point businesses would face only the cost of training replacements, and have no impetus to consider anything but talent. Lacie replied that since maternity is a choice, it seems sensible not to compensate it at all, and further pointed out that, in fact, it usually isn't. I was under the impression that it was legally mandated, so that kind of blows away my argument, but I think that I'd actually support government-funded maternity leave. Pro-family policies are nice. Dude, though, Canada gives you a better tax break for putting kids in day care than for staying home with them. How lame is that? I guess the natural next step in the discussion would be to consider why the merely dull, another improfitable, discrimination-permissible class, aren't subsidised. But now I'm wandering into the blue-beta book club thread. J'ai vu un fille la plus profondement moche aujourd'hui; on aurait dit un chien. Elle se rougeait en train d'aller a la classe. Ma cherie, ca n'aidera pas. Je te conseille a mourir. La francais, elle est une langue idealle pour etre mechant. Ora, quando voglio scegliere il mio corso, mi chiedo, "Felipe, ha lei la speranza che questo terminara molto dolcemente?" Si lui penso che si, non lo facciamo. Faccio solamente cio che devo fare, perche ho imparato che tutte le cose squisite terminano con disappunto. E ho paura che visitare i miei amici al nord questa fine della settimana sarebbe squisito. Spent about two hours today playing with the little sisters. I could get used to this. Thanks for the comments recently, everyone. Trevor, no, I still don't see how to reconcile macroevolution with the Fall unless the Fall was retroactive, which seems rather distasteful to me. However...let's just say that our current world seems to imitate rather proficiently a world guided by macroevolution. It's, ahem, a nice model. =)
1 comments:
By the way, "jaded" has a very cool etymology; it refers not to a mineral but to an overworked horse.
Post a Comment