Kubuntu Gutsy
I finally reached my threshold a couple days ago of the number of times I can read John Resig's recommendation of Firefox 3.0 without trying it. (Every jQuery developer has one, I expect.) Unfortunately, my attempts to upgrade MEPIS 6.0 onto the dependencies for Firefox 3.0 (GTK, primarily) involved half of the core libraries, so I decided it was time for a change. Unfortunately, MEPIS 7.0 wasn't cutting it--it felt shoddy, and within a few hours of playing with it, Firefox's tabbed browsing no longer worked. My distinct impression was that the transition from Ubuntu repositories back to straight Debian had left a lot of rough edges and that Warren wasn't putting much time into it anymore.
I'd heard that Kubuntu was the ugly stepchild of the Canonical family and particularly that its hardware support wasn't up to MEPIS's level. With a stock desktop, though, I figured it was safe and tossed it onto a CD.
I've been enormously impressed; the Ubuntu repositories are amazing. Installing Firefox 3.0 and Pidgin was a piece of cake, as was installing the nvidia-glx drivers for full resolution. It was a bit tricky getting Compiz working (I had to switch my dual-screen engine from Xinerama to Twinview), but the performance is worlds beyond what I had before. I'll keep posting my experiences, but I think this is going to be a pleasure to use.
2 comments:
I think very highly of the Ubuntu family of derivatives. I use Xubuntu on my old desktop, and it has really breathed new life into that machine. It looks good, works great, and adding new programs is a snap.
I don't really think Kubuntu is that unsupported. I ran it on a machine a while back, and I remember there being a lot of K fans. If I had to pick one, I might say that Xubuntu is the ugly stepchild. I still like it, though.
By the way, if you want to try Firefox 3 without reinstalling, you could try the PortableApps version. Lifehacker had some instructions on how to install it without disturbing your normal Firefox.
Yeah, after this experience, I'm strongly considering putting Xubuntu on our junker laptop, even if I have to replace the optical drive.
Firefox 3 was actually a breeze as soon as I dropped MEPIS--it's in the Gutsy repositories as a separate package. And boy, is it fast.
Post a Comment