Tuesday, October 10, 2006

name change

If you don't read Slashdot, you've gotta hear this story. (Even if you don't normally care about tech news.)

Debian, a Linux distribution, wants to distribute the Firefox browser to its users, but uses a different logo. (On my system, it appears to be a nondescript globe.) The Mozilla Foundation, owners of Firefox, told them that if they wanted to use the Firefox name, they needed to use all of the Firefox branding and route bug fixes back through the Mozilla Foundation for approval, so that when people see Firefox's name or logo, they'll know they're using a Mozilla-Foundation-approved browser.

Debian wasn't happy with these demands, so after some back-and-forth, they decided to part ways. However, since Firefox is open-source, Debian can distribute an exact copy of the application under different branding. Their new name?

Iceweasel.

Source: Linux.com (Behind the Debian and Mozilla dispute).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Friggin' awesome.

JB said...

No way. Iceweasel? Okaaaaay.

SkyBluePink said...

I'll give the cheesy gordita crunch a try...

...wait, aren't you a vegetarian? Or am I completely crazy?

Th. said...

.

.........

(is about all I have to say)