world history bleg
Does anyone know of a good map-oriented world history video? I really like Maps of War's empires video, but its growth animations and scope (empires controlling the Middle East) are a bit simplistic, and it doesn't have any narration. Ideally, I'd like something informed not only by military history but genetic and linguistic ethnography, including not only the origins and conquests of the Huns but at least a paragraph on each of the major branches of the Proto-Indo-European expansion and notes about the displacement of the Tai by the Han and the origins of the Basques.
It would be nice if I could name the current country at a random point on a blank globe, but failing that, I'd like to be able to identify the origins and military history of its residents--I still have basically no idea of the relationships among Ottomans, Persians, Arabs, Turks, and Saracens, for example; I classify everything from Northern Africa to Georgia to Western China as "uh, PIE, I think, but really hard to learn." Slicing along the other dimension, I'd like to be able to draw a rough map of the political organization of the world at any point in history and understand at least five of the most important events in the history of the Mongol Empire.
(Yeah, I've been playing Age of Empires again. Cavalry archers ftw.)
4 comments:
Okay, so I now know that Wenceslas ruled Bohemia, roughly the current Czech Republic, which was repopulated by Slavs after the Germanic tribes evacuated during the Hunnic Migration Period. World history downloading: 0.001% complete.
The migration map on that last page is pretty awesome.
Somebody acting with arrogance would be said to be "haciƩndose los godos" ("making himself to act like the Goths"). Because of this, in Chile, Argentina and the Canary Islands, godo was an ethnic slur used against European Spaniards, who in the early colony period would feel superior to the people born locally (criollos).
(Wikipedia: Goths: Symbolic legacy)
wow guys wikipedia is interesting
and apparently the Alans fought me at Chalons AND are going to start WWIII AND have great dogs
Post a Comment