Saturday, December 17, 2005

Vegas: it's there for a reason

Yesterday's schedule:

7:00--Alarm goes off.
8:10--Murple opens my door and asks, "Are you awake? 'Brozy's here." "Yes, sir," I reply in my sleep, then panic and jump out of bed.
8:20--'Brozy buys me many wonderful baked goods, including custard-filled doughnuts and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.
8:30--'Brozy arrives to work half an hour late.
9:00--I make my Internet rounds.
11:00--I make myself five slices of pizza on toasted whole wheat bread.
11:30--I toss a few more lines into my pseudocode for the next Peircean personality test expansion.
12:00--I hop in the shower.
1:00--I realize that every one of my formal shirts is stained. I grab one with a stain covered by my suit jacket.
1:45--I grab my laptop bag and get in the car.
1:55--I pull out my laptop to look up my interviewer's name.
2:00--I answer such questions as "What are the major security concerns in PHP?", "What are the advantages and disadvantages of table-based layout?", and "What is your experience with usability?"
2:20--My interviewer asks what wage I would expect. I suggest 150% of my last job's wage. He offers a dollar/hour higher.
2:30--My interviewer begins explaining the non-monetary benefits he offers to retain programmers, such as mentoring, says that he hopes they'll eventually be able to bring me on full-time, and notes that useful business suggestions may earn bonuses.
3:00--I sign away my code's freedom. (Sorry, Lunkwill.)
4:15--I pick up 'Brozy.
4:30--'Brozy tries to ignore me in the BYU bookstore as she looks for a present for her father. I try not to continually poke her with excitement.
6:00--We eat at Sweet Tomatoes.
8:30--We buy tickets for Chronicles of Narnia.
8:40--I buy an N64 expansion pack. 'Brozy buys some movies.
9:30--My loud complaining about the cost of men's gloves draws an helpful Dillard's salesperson.
9:55--We see Chronicles. It is very good.
12:30--I fall asleep holding 'Brozy on the couch.
1:35--A roommate staggering into the bathroom wakes us up. I take her home.

That may have been the best day of my life thusfar. Wish someone had told me a year ago that I was headed for dating Ambrosia and working for a fellow Jakob Nielsen disciple.

7 comments:

Thirdmango said...

Bah, i could have toldyou that.... Oh wait, no maybe not. Good work though, days like that are very wonderful.

Etelmik said...

Are you guys back together again?

Wow. Greeeeeeennnnn.

ambrosia ananas said...

Yeah, Mr. Jean-Bob Xavier Toasteroven, I'm so gonna punch you. : )

JB said...

I like you and Brozy together. I like you separately (I think... I guess I've never really seen you without her...), but you're a great pair. I'm married now, so I guess I ought to say:

May you date (or otherwise stay together) at least another year or so. ;)

erin said...

Wow. Fight fight! I wanna see two greens get into a fight... :)

Lunkwill said...

Cool, a job! Where'd you end up? (Email me privately if you don't want to post here.)

JB said...

Oh yeah and congrats on the job! :)