The purple world map is cool, but I actually think it's as much of an oversimplification as the red/blue dichotomy--if you look on a county-by-county gradiated level, a lot of the country really is polarized. Check out the NYT president map. So far, the highest splits I've found are D.C., 92.9% Obama, and Ochiltree County, TX, 92.0% McCain. (Sorry, Utah County--78% can't compete with the Texas panhandle.)
Other good quantitative analysis: Red State, Blue State: "Election 2008: what really happened".
Friday, November 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
D.C. is nearly always an outlier. It went nearly 91% to John Kerry in 2004. We lived there at the time. It was funny how much people hated the guy who lived down the street from us.
.
Obama first used the term purple state, didn't he? I know he was given credit for it four years ago.
Huh, I dunno. Wikipedia: Purple America says that "Robert Vanderbei at Princeton University made the first "Purple America" map after the 2000 presidential election", though.
Post a Comment