Oh man, yeah, sociology/psychology is the worst for that, I'll bet. I'm glad I only have to do one history class for economics, and the rest try to, you know, teach the best of what we currently know.
I was more referring to the memorization of stuff that isn't relevance rather than the correctness part. The correctness part I was spared on, fortunately.
To be fair, many psychologists are aware of the great divisions in it. Many classes and texts present all 13 theories and discuss strengths/weaknesses, which is a great way to get people doing critical thinking on a scientific and philosophical level. And on a variety of topics that actually relate to various aspects of life, too!
BYU also had a lot of "here's why psychology has problems" stuff.
No, my problem was with the high amount of repetition in it. I heard about Piaget and Freud at least half a dozen times.
Yeah, I can see how it would be valuable for critical thinking. We don't even do that in my class, though--I think my teacher is better at Marxist rhetoric than marginal analysis.
But yeah, going through the same material every semester blows.
4 comments:
YES! This is why my GPA sucked. Man, I should've studied computer science and moved to California.
Oh man, yeah, sociology/psychology is the worst for that, I'll bet. I'm glad I only have to do one history class for economics, and the rest try to, you know, teach the best of what we currently know.
I was more referring to the memorization of stuff that isn't relevance rather than the correctness part. The correctness part I was spared on, fortunately.
To be fair, many psychologists are aware of the great divisions in it. Many classes and texts present all 13 theories and discuss strengths/weaknesses, which is a great way to get people doing critical thinking on a scientific and philosophical level. And on a variety of topics that actually relate to various aspects of life, too!
BYU also had a lot of "here's why psychology has problems" stuff.
No, my problem was with the high amount of repetition in it. I heard about Piaget and Freud at least half a dozen times.
Yeah, I can see how it would be valuable for critical thinking. We don't even do that in my class, though--I think my teacher is better at Marxist rhetoric than marginal analysis.
But yeah, going through the same material every semester blows.
Post a Comment