opportunities missed
My grandmother fell during the night on Friday and didn't wake up Saturday morning. In a CAT scan, they found extensive bleeding into the brain. Sunday morning, they took her off the respirator. I'll probably be getting a call any time now to let me know she's stopped breathing.
This isn't a sob story; since a car accident a couple of years ago, she'd been suffering tremendously, and I'm frankly a little relieved for her, though sad for my grandfather. Our whole family gathered together over the weekend of my wedding for our first Thanksgiving together I can remember, so everyone got to see her and tell her how much we love her. She lived a wonderful life, and now she's dying with all of her children gathered around her.
The sad part is that we haven't sent out notes yet to thank them for the pressure cooker they gave us for our wedding. Or the bread knife or the sandwich grill. I didn't call when she fell and broke her arm a few weeks ago. I didn't call to wish her a Merry Christmas, let alone get her anything. I know that if anyone would forgive me, she has, but it feels awful to know that just a call could have made her life so much happier.
If you've been meaning to do some small kindness, do it today.
2 comments:
Bawb, I'm sorry you're losing your grandmother. Also, thanks for the reminder. It's too easy to let things go sometimes.
(For what it's worth, I bet she knows how much you love her. Even more so now.)
Good reminder.
Post a Comment