Thursday, July 28, 2005

three should suffice

[Edit: fixed links.]

Heather says I have to update. Since Heather is awesome, I will do so. Well, more accurately, an alliance once existed between Heather and Braden. I am here to honor that alliance. Seriously, a year ago, I spent about half of my time online laughing uproariously at the girl. And any fraction of my time online constitutes an enduring tradition.

Thing I left out of my last entry: in Animal Crossing, there is an option to change your town's theme song by toggling through the C scale notes; it sounds each note as you change it, and you can preview what you have so far. We decided to change it, calling out suggestions at random. Meanwhile, my little brother clicked away silently. Finally, he reached the end and previewed it. "I love to see the temple," it played; "I'm going there some day." Note for note, even in the right key. Now, I realize that trueblat and such find this laughably simple. I was blown away, though. The kid says he just hummed it in his head. So yeah, if anyone didn't know, Eric is awesome.

I've found my favorite site ever: FeastUponTheWord.org. It's only starting, so the actual offerings are fairly blowy, but the concept's amazing: a quad the world shares. Questions, lexical notes, exegesis, commentary. I'm stoked to see what comes of it.

Revenge of the Sith: now in English, via Chinese.

Exit Mundi: a collection of end-of-the-world scenarios, both astrological and philosophical, with a critical eye for plausibility and a flippant irreverance for disaster. The Borg article is chilling. Seriously, great reading.

Mmmmkay, so I'm exhausted. Nothing much new of note. Semiotics was delightful last night; we went to Smart Cookie first, Arwen interviewed all of us to come up with better answers for the new revision, and I hung out with Ambrosia for a few hours afterward, just talking. Didn't find Smart Cookie's cookies spectacular, actually, but they're very generous with ice cream in ice cream sandwiches. Went over to talk to ward Heather for an hour or so this afternoon. Gave the opening prayer for Institute. Good lesson. I dislike his policy of mocking people who seem irrationally disobedient in the Old Testament (Saul, today); I doubt we have changed so much in a few thousand years that we couldn't learn from a sincere consideration of their mindset.

Sorry these last few entries have been so much like freshman year's constant spewing of drama and mundanity. Can't promise it'll end; within a few months, I expect life to be going very, very well.

2 comments:

MissE said...

I have to admit I wish I could be with all of you in semiotics class. I am excited for the new revision of the test.

ambrosia ananas said...

[gasp] You . . . didn't . . . find . . the cookies . . . spectacular?

Well, all right.