again with the meta
Grumble, vague restlessness. Life is good, though. I discussed regrouping verses with the founder of Feast Upon The Word and found him a very pleasant fellow. Even left a note on my profile helping me with wiki markup. Mmmm, and I just had a slice of cheesecake. But yeah, today rocked and such. Got an haircut. Many thanks to Karla and Michelle for lending me a Starving Student card. 'Brozy took me out to Ottavio's, and the food was outdone by the company, which included two of her friends from back home. I think Ambrosia may be as amazing a friend as Grant, so far as unbelievable intelligence and general pleasantness go. Definitely hoping the new job means spending much time with her. We also watched the Reduced Shakespeare Company at Uffish's. Very funny stuff. I wonder if anyone else has ever used "shallow" to mean "uninterested in formal logic." Oh, after dropping Ambrosia off, I hit the curb south of Heritage Halls and got a flat tire. It was a surprisingly pleasant experience, actually. Partially, granted, because I was so purple about it, singing quietly as I walked to the entrance of the law school parking lot to figure out whether I could just leave my car there, but mostly because it's such a user-friendly process; even in the dark, I had absolutely no problem putting on the compact spare. The jack even had instructions noting the four reinforced spots on the undercarriage, the appropriate one of which I found quickly by feeling. Changing the tire was even simpler than putting together my fan; it came with the tools, and there were no washers or any such to deal with. The compact spare alerted me to its section in the driver's manual; by that point, I had already finished, but I sat under a street light reading it for nearly an hour anyway, amazed at the clear, concise instructions for everything from checking the battery to driving stick. I'm considering putting it on my bedside table and reading a chapter a night for help with all of life's problems. Question: Are we entitled to God's love, as His creations? I was thinking about Sunday's "trials teach us what really makes us happy," and realized it's similar to Screwtape's assertion that we can't feel offended unless we feel entitled; e.g., if Christ came to us and asked us to listen to banal prattling all day, giving us half an hour to do whatever we wanted, we'd be quite satisfied. It's when we think, "My time is my own," that we get grumbly. Trials, then, when taken humbly, show us that all we can expect is all we need: God's love. Not sure if "entitled" is reasonable, though. Also, does anyone for a while know the difference between emotions I disdain and emotions I embrace? Ward Heather pointed out the curious dichotomy between "bleaugh, celestial hedonism" and "awwww, cuddling," and I was sort of at a loss. Help me, Internet. Maybe I've just repressed all emotion between basic corporeal response, like pizza happiness. So having a computer directly grafted onto your mind would be the coolest thing ever, as Exit Mundi notes in the Borg article. Look up anything online instantly. Read as quickly as you can turn pages. Put a table of numbers into a spreadsheet with a single glance. Push statements into formal logic notation and prove or disprove arguments in milliseconds. Telepathically communicate with anyone in the world. Drive a car or turn on the dishwasher effortlessly. Your biological mind would be needed only for brainstorming and storytelling, really. Sign me up.
3 comments:
Hey, thanks a lot. You know, I'm kind of hoping I get to see a lot of you without the excuse of the new project. You're fast becoming one of my favorites. And I love that you always have something intellegent to say.
"Are we entitled to God's love, as His creations? ....we can't feel offended unless we feel entitled"
Entitled? No - I would say God's love is a gift and a natural response of a perfect parent.
I think a helpful thing to remember is that although we may feel entitled to something, doesn't mean we really are.
Post a Comment