Wednesday, June 04, 2008

new toy

I'm typing this on my iPhone, a fun golden handcuff from work. I wouldn't buy it myself, but the interface is pretty incredible; it feels like I can type about half as fast as I can on a traditional keyboard between spelling corrections and automatic periods. You know something's built by Apple when you think, boy, adjusting the zoom on this is really annoying; I wish I could just double click a paragraph to match width, and hey, it works. It's pretty incredible to get an email about a new comment on my phone and be able to click the link and have it open. Man, though, it kills me not to be able to actually close an application.

5 comments:

eleka nahmen said...

me <---- JEALOUS.

I have SUCH iphone lust. One day after you've used it a while I'd love to hear all of your pros/cons.

Are you going to jailbreak it? (Well, I suppose your overlords might not approve of that..)

Braden said...

Heh, actually, my boss jailbroke his right away to put an SSH client on; the claim that we'd be able to log in and fix problems from anywhere in cell phone range was a large part of why our department got three. I think he's given up on it for now, though, and I'm not planning on bothering. (I'll probably leave my job within six months anyway, for one.)

Amazing: Google Reader for iPhone beta. Between that and the mail client, I may well become addicted to my new cranial Internet jack.

Wish you were here so I could let you play with it. Really, it's hard to describe the awesomeness of turning an article sideways, double-tapping, and having a great reading experience in your palm.

One thing that I know is going to drive me nuts: commas require two button presses, apostrophes, three.

eleka nahmen said...

That just sounds like the most divine toy ever. I think I'm pretty much decided I'll be getting one by the end of the year.

Braden said...

Yeah, if you like Apple's OS, I think you'll like it--it's the epitome of their "we've made this so perfect no one could ever want to configure it differently" philosophy.

A few drawbacks, borrowing from other iphone review threads:

* Landscape view works basically only in Safari--even SMS and Mail force you to use the smaller portrait keyboard.
* No combined inbox--have to traverse up and down the folder tree to view new messages in a different account. I'll probably start using Gmail mobile (which does support landscape) and just use Mail as a notifier.
* No terminal/ssh.
* No context menu for copy/paste, open in new window, etc.
* Awkward camera shutter button.
* No incremental search for phone calls.

Good stuff: pattrns, ninja ropes. (Pattrns is a knockoff of Set, a great card game.)

Braden said...

Incremental search through contacts for phone calls, that is.