Tuesday, March 11, 2008

You know what peace is for me? Hearing that my dogs have dug under the fence and knowing that if I can't find them, it's not because God wants to teach me a lesson.

10 comments:

JB said...

Yeah, those lessons would be manipulative and creepy.

I hope you find your dogs. :(

Unknown said...

Personally, I've never believed that every bad thing that happens to us is God trying to punish us or teach us a lesson.

eleka nahmen said...

Dude, I totally relate.

Peace is also getting your tax return back and knowing that you owe thanks to your ACCOUNTANT, not to GOD, that you got more back than you expected to.

Etelmik said...

I used to think that way. I'm very glad I don't. Are you saying you did?

Hmm...green BAWB...well, you must have come a long way because I can't imagine it!

Braden said...

Yeah, Jon Boy, TO, you're right--it's not really doctrinally defensible. I'm sort of conflating two ideas: I'm glad that my daily quests no longer have the added stress of being tests of divine favor, and I'm profoundly relieved that I no longer have to wonder why God doesn't answer my prayers for confirmation of truth.

Thanks, jb and eleka.

Braden said...

Life is just a lot simpler when I don't have to play Pangloss, is what I suppose I mean.

JB said...

You know what I find peaceful? Not paying 10% of my total earnings! :D

Etelmik said...

I can't remember the last time I thought God was telling me something. Like, really telling me something. Couple years ago, I think. I don't know how to be Mormon now while admitting I don't seem to have a "relationship" with him.

At any rate, I'm just glad you're posting. Yeah, I know, how hypocritical of me. All according to my master plan...

Katie said...

Did you find them?

Braden said...

They've escaped three or four times now. Fortunately, Shelby and Abby love strangers, and Radar gets bored and goes home to sit out front when they're not with him.

We're just going to have to keep Abby and Radar inside until we can save up for a nicer fence.