Saturday, November 18, 2006

restaurant review: Zupas

I've been wanting to try Zupas for a long time, but I never got around to it until last night, after 'Brozy and I got our wedding rings. (Mine is tungsten and I love it. I am almost as excited to wear it as I am for Halo 3. Wilson's Diamonds is always great.)

Huge fan. I think Pudding on the Rice is the evil twin of Zupas. (I hate the sterile feel of PotR. Sell your freaking flat screen swirly displays, buy a couple lava lamps, and make the store feel less like a huge iPod. And get a drinking fountain. [In their defense, they will put the toppings on depicted in their posters if you ask nicely.])

Zupas, on the other hand, is warm, comfortable, and friendly. Everything's in orange and red and green, and even the plates and bowls are beautiful. It's a cafeteria-line setup, not a sit-down restaurant, but they bus your tables for you, and they'll spontaneously offer soup samples.

My favorite part, though, is the chocolate strawberries that come with each order. I can't believe they find such ripe, sweet berries at this time of year.

'Brozy and I got an ultimate grilled cheese and chicken enchilada chili soup, both of which were delicious. All of their sandwiches are grilled on ciabatta, and the grilled cheese has cheddar, muenster, tomatoes, and pesto sauce. The chili was very flavorful, and the tortilla strips are both tasty and aesthetically pleasing.

It is a bit pricey for a Subway-style restaurant; a sandwich and half order of soup is seven or eight bucks. I'll be going back soon again, though.

Also, I got Goldeneye 64 the other day. It's amazingly fun.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Goldeneye 64 is a classic. Have you played Perfect Dark? It's the same engine, but with a few improvements and sweet futuristic weapons.

Braden said...

I haven't. I'm actually a huge Timesplitters fan, though, which is by the same people. Somehow I skipped over Perfect Dark.

I'll have to try it soon. Hopefully it'll be in the Wii's virtual console library.

eleka nahmen said...

LOL - that POTR is like a huge iPod is the perfect descriptor! That's prolly why I love it though. And Zupas is totally adoration-worthy.

I'm amazed there aren't more chic little places like that in Salt Lake.